Spreadsheets and tabular data containing geographic coordinates can be uploaded to Mango in Comma Separated Value (CSV) format.
To convert a spreadsheet into a CSV simply choose “Save As” in your spreadsheet program and choose CSV from the available file types.
Preparing Your CSV
CSV uploads must contain geographic coordinates in decimal degrees format in two columns: one for latitude and one for longitude. e.g.:
Valid column headings for coordinates:
Mango only supports Decimal Degrees format for coordinates in CSV. Other coordinate systems will cause the CSV upload to fail.
|Correct Coordinate Format||Incorrect Coordinate Formats|
|café||12.235216||13.252125||✔||café||N 12.235216||E 13.252125||❌|
CSV Upload Errors
There are many different programs that can generate CSV’s and as there is no official file standard for CSV, some programs will format them in different ways to others.
If your CSV is formatted as per the instructions above please check the following using a spreadsheet program, such as MS Excel.
- Double check that your data contains Lat Long coordinates, and that the column names containing the coordinates are name correctly.
- Open the .csv file in a text editor (not spreadsheet program) and check for trailing commas.
- Each column in the CSV must have a name. The example below is missing column names. Either delete the column or add a name.
- There should be no text or spaces before or after the actual data. In the example below, the rows highlighted in red need to be deleted.
- There should not be any carriage returns in your column names. This is indicated by names that break over two lines as shown below. They need to be changed to be on one line.
- Ensure there are no blank columns in the CSV
- Ensure there are only number and no letters in Lat/Lon columns
- Ensure your columns are separated by commas or semicolons
- Individual fields cannot contain a comma. If you see a column name with two names and a comma, as per the example below, you will need to edit the fields to separate them into multiple columns.
My Spreadsheet Doesn’t Contain Coordinates
- If your CSV does not contain coordinates but does contain addresses, you must geocode the addresses before uploading. Please read this article for instructions.
- If your CSV does not contain coordinates but has other information such as administrative boundaries such a zip codes, counties, and states, then please read this article for instructions.
Need more help with this?
✉ Email the Mango support team